According to the Arizona Department of Health, “So far this influenza season 2,976 influenza cases have been reported, compared to just 347 cases last season. That’s an increase of more than 700%.” Children under 5, especially those under 2, are at risk for serious complications if they get the flu. Unfortunately, the flu is a virus and you can only treat the symptoms until it passes through your body.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Fever, which may be as high as 103° F (39.4° C) to 105° F (40.5° C)
- Muscle and joint aches and pains
- Not feeling well “all over”
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Worsening cough
- Vomiting and Diarrhea–>not common but can happen.
If your child is experiencing any flu-like symptoms, it is best to keep them home to get the rest they need. When in dought, you know your child and trust your parental instincts on when to see a doctor. I always believe that is is better safe than sorry. If your child comes down with the flu, try these home remedies to help relieve the symptoms:
- Cool-Mist Humidifier
- Saline (saltwater) Solution Nose Drops.
- Honey and Lemon Water Tea–> age 1 and up
- Elevated Heat At Night
- Sponge or Lukewarm Water Bath
Ways to protect your family from the flu:
- Avid Hand Washing
- Elbow Sneese
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose or Mouth
- Clean And Disinfect Surfaces And Objects
- Avoid Close Contact